Click here to read this article in Malay.
Locking clip is used when installing child restraint system (CRS) using seat belt. It functions to lock the seat belt so that CRS is not loosen during a normal driving condition.
Locking clip is needed when your vehicle retractor is of Emergency Locking Retractor type (ELR, read more: http://bit.ly/2RuF57A).
There are two situations when a locking clip is not needed:
1. CRS has a built-in locking mechanism, OR
2. Seat belt can be locked (using Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) or Switchable Locking Retractor (SLR)).
There are two types of locking clip:
1. Plastic type – for ECE approved CRS
2. Metal type – for FMVSS approved CRS
Usage instructions differs between the two of them:
1. Plastic type – is used on shoulder part of seat belt which is nearest to the latch plate.
2. Metal type – is used on both shoulder part and lap part of seat belt, which are nearest to the latch plate.
Both type of locking clip should be installed not more than 1 inch from the latch plate.
⚠️ Locking clip should not be used on lap only (2-points) seat belt! ⚠️
Read your vehicle manual and also CRS manual to find out whether you need to use a locking clip when installing a CRS using seat belt.